Fast Facts About Cattleya Orchids (Cattleya spp.)
- Name: Cattleya Orchids
- Bred By: Naturally occurring; extensively hybridized for cultivation
- Introduced: Popular in cultivation since the 19th century
- Growth: Sympodial epiphyte, known for its pseudobulbs and large, showy flowers
- Blooms: Large, often fragrant flowers, famous for their use in corsages
- Color: Wide range of colors, including white, pink, yellow, and purple
- Foliage: Leathery, green leaves growing from the top of pseudobulbs
- Flowering: Typically blooms once or twice a year
- Climate: Prefers intermediate to warm conditions
- Disease Resistance: Generally robust but can be susceptible to pests like scale and mealybugs
- Growing Classification: Epiphytic orchid
- Origin/Distribution: Native to Central and South America
- Blooming Season: Varies, but most commonly in spring and fall
Should you Buy One?
Cattleya Orchids are a classic choice for both novice and experienced orchid enthusiasts. Their stunning blooms and delightful fragrance make them highly sought after. They are relatively easy to care for, making them a great option for those looking to add a touch of elegance to their orchid collection.
Specific Care for Cattleya Orchids
Cattleya Orchids thrive in bright, indirect light with moderate humidity. They prefer a well-draining growing medium and should be watered when it begins to dry out, usually every 7 to 10 days.
General Orchid Care Tips
- Lighting: Provide bright, indirect light for most orchids.
- Watering: Water sparingly, allowing the potting medium to dry out slightly between waterings.
- Humidity: Maintain a high humidity level, between 40-70%.
- Temperature: Most orchids prefer a moderate to warm temperature range with cooler nights.
- Feeding: Fertilize with a balanced orchid fertilizer, typically at half strength, every two weeks during the growing season.
FAQs about Aerangis Orchids
They typically bloom once or twice a year, depending on the species and care.
Yes, they can thrive indoors if provided with adequate light and the right care.
Repot every 2-3 years in spring, using a well-draining orchid mix, when new growth appears.
Orchid Arrangements in Calabasas
Explore the exquisite beauty of our rose arrangements in Calabasas and place your order today. Experience the convenience of our same-day flower delivery service, serving Calabasas and its neighboring areas. Elevate any occasion with our stunning blooms, thoughtfully arranged for your special moments.