Fast Facts About Phalaenopsis Orchids (Phalaenopsis spp.)
- Name: Phalaenopsis Orchids, commonly known as “Moth Orchids”
- Bred By: Naturally occurring; extensive hybridization in cultivation
- Introduced: Gained popularity in the 20th century
- Growth: Monopodial epiphytes with broad, glossy leaves
- Blooms: Showy, flat flowers resembling moths in flight
- Color: Wide range of colors including white, pink, purple, and sometimes bicolored or patterned
- Foliage: Large, green, leathery leaves
- Flowering: Can bloom any time of year, with flowers lasting several weeks to months
- Climate: Prefers warm, humid conditions
- Disease Resistance: Generally hardy but susceptible to overwatering and crown rot
- Growing Classification: Epiphytic orchid
- Origin/Distribution: Native to tropical Asia
- Blooming Season: Can bloom at any time, but most commonly in the winter and spring
Should you Buy One?
Phalaenopsis Orchids are an excellent choice for beginners due to their ease of care and long-lasting blooms. They are well-suited to indoor conditions and can provide a stunning floral display for an extended period, making them a popular choice for home and office environments.
Specific Care for Phalaenopsis Orchids
Phalaenopsis Orchids thrive in low to medium light and prefer a consistent watering schedule, allowing the potting medium to dry slightly between waterings. They benefit from high humidity and warm temperatures.
General Orchid Care Tips
- Light: Prefers low to medium, indirect light.
- Water: Water when the potting medium is almost dry; avoid letting the roots sit in water.
- Humidity: Maintain a humidity level around 40-70%.
- Temperature: Warm temperatures are ideal, with a slight drop at night.
- Feeding: Fertilize with a balanced orchid fertilizer at half strength every two weeks during active growth.
They can bloom any time of year, with each bloom lasting several weeks to months.
Yes, they can rebloom from the same spike. You can encourage this by cutting the spike above a node.
Signs include yellowing leaves, limp or rotting roots, and a mushy base.
Orchid Arrangements in Calabasas
Explore the exquisite beauty of our rose arrangements in Calabasas and place your order today. Experience the convenience of our same-day flower delivery service, serving Calabasas and its neighboring areas. Elevate any occasion with our stunning blooms, thoughtfully arranged for your special moments.