Paeonia lactiflora ‘Fairy Princess’
Paeonia lactiflora 'Fairy Princess' - Fast Facts
- Name: Paeonia lactiflora ‘Fairy Princess’
- Bred by: The specific breeder of this variety is not widely known, as it is one among many cultivars in the Paeonia lactiflora family.
- Introduced: The exact year of introduction is not well-documented, but it is recognized as a distinctive cultivar in the Paeonia lactiflora species.
- Growth: This herbaceous perennial typically grows to a height of about 2-3 feet.
- Blooms: Known for its charming, somewhat smaller flowers compared to some other peony varieties.
- Color: The blooms are a delicate pink with a softer, paler center.
- Foliage: Features lush, green foliage that serves as a beautiful backdrop for its dainty blooms.
- Flowering: Flowers in late spring to early summer.
- Climate: Hardy in USDA zones 3-8, making it suitable for a variety of temperate garden settings.
- Disease Resistance: Generally resistant to common peony diseases, but may require preventative measures against fungal diseases in humid climates.
- Growing Classification: Herbaceous perennial.
- Origin/Distribution: As part of the Paeonia lactiflora group, it originates from Asia and is now cultivated in gardens worldwide.
- Blooming Season: The peak bloom period is in late spring.
Should you Buy One?
‘Fairy Princess’ is a delightful choice for gardeners looking for a peony with a more delicate and whimsical aesthetic. Its smaller, pale pink blooms are perfect for adding a touch of fairy-tale charm to any garden or floral arrangement. This variety is also suitable for smaller gardens or spaces where a more petite peony is desired.
Paeonia lactiflora 'Fairy Princess' Specific Care
This variety prefers well-drained soil and a sunny to partially shaded spot in the garden. It’s important to plant the roots at the correct depth—just below the soil surface—to ensure successful blooming. Regular watering, especially during the blooming period, and a balanced fertilizer applied in early spring will support healthy growth and flowering.
General Orchid Care Tips
- Soil: Thrive in rich, well-drained soil.
- Sunlight: Prefer full sun but can handle some afternoon shade.
- Watering: Consistent moisture is key, especially in dry conditions.
- Fertilization: Use a general-purpose fertilizer once a year in early spring.
- Pruning: Cut back the stems to ground level in the fall.
- Support: May require support if the blooms are heavy or in a windy location.
FAQs about Paeonia lactiflora 'Fairy Princess'
These peonies can be divided every 5-10 years to rejuvenate and propagate them.
Yes, they can be grown in large pots with proper drainage, although they typically perform best when planted in the ground.
Yes, their delicate and attractive blooms make them a wonderful choice for cutting gardens and floral arrangements.
Peony Arrangements in Calabasas
Explore the exquisite beauty of our rose arrangements in Calabasas and place your order today. Experience the convenience of our same-day flower delivery service, serving Calabasas and its neighboring areas. Elevate any occasion with our stunning blooms, thoughtfully arranged for your special moments.