Paeonia lactiflora ‘Jean Erickson’
Paeonia lactiflora 'Jean Erickson' - Fast Facts
- Name: Paeonia lactiflora ‘Jean Erickson’
- Bred by: This variety is a cultivated member of the Paeonia lactiflora species.
- Introduced: The specific introduction year of ‘Jean Erickson’ is not widely documented, but it is a recognized cultivar in the peony world.
- Growth: Typically reaches a height and spread of about 2-3 feet.
- Blooms: Known for its large, full, and showy flowers.
- Color: The blooms are a distinctive pink, often with deeper shades at the base of the petals.
- Foliage: Features lush green foliage that complements the bright blooms.
- Flowering: Blooms in late spring to early summer.
- Climate: Hardy in USDA zones 3-8, adaptable to a variety of temperate garden settings.
- Disease Resistance: Generally resistant to common peony diseases, though can be susceptible to fungal diseases in very humid conditions.
- Growing Classification: Herbaceous perennial.
- Origin/Distribution: As a cultivar of Paeonia lactiflora, it has roots in Asia but is now cultivated in gardens globally.
- Blooming Season: Peaks in late spring.
Should you Buy One?
‘Jean Erickson’ is a fantastic choice for gardeners looking for a peony with striking pink blooms that can add a pop of color to any garden. Its vibrant flowers and lush foliage make it a standout in the garden, and it’s relatively easy to care for, making it suitable for both experienced and novice gardeners.
PPaeonia lactiflora 'Jean Erickson' Specific Care
This variety prefers well-drained, fertile soil and a location that receives full sun to partial shade. Planting the roots at the proper depth is crucial to ensure blooming. Regular watering, particularly during dry spells, and a balanced fertilizer in early spring will support healthy growth and abundant flowering.
General Peonies Care Tips
- Soil: Best in rich, well-drained soil.
- Sunlight: Full sun to light shade for optimal blooming.
- Watering: Keep soil consistently moist, especially during the growing season.
- Fertilization: Apply a general-purpose fertilizer in the spring.
- Pruning: Cut back the foliage to ground level in the fall.
- Support: Stakes or rings may be necessary for supporting large blooms.
FAQs about Paeonia lactiflora 'Jean Erickson'
It generally takes about 3-4 years for ‘Jean Erickson’ peonies to reach full maturity and maximum blooming potential.
While best suited for garden beds, they can be grown in large containers with adequate drainage.
Peonies, including ‘Jean Erickson’, are generally considered deer-resistant and are a good choice for gardens in areas with deer populations.
Peony Arrangements in Calabasas
Explore the exquisite beauty of our rose arrangements in Calabasas and place your order today. Experience the convenience of our same-day flower delivery service, serving Calabasas and its neighboring areas. Elevate any occasion with our stunning blooms, thoughtfully arranged for your special moments.